On 4 March, the Prime Minister, Premier of NSW and Mayors of Blue Mountains, Camden, Campbelltown, Fairfield, Hawkesbury, Liverpool, Penrith and Wollondilly Councils signed the Western Sydney City Deal.
The City Deal sets the investment foundation for the Western Parkland City to become a global city, enriched by its heritage and connected to the world.
Over the next 20 years the Western Sydney City Deal will drive the creation of the Western Parkland City.
The Western Sydney Airport and Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis will be catalysts for a strong economy to grow and the City will be one of the most connected places in Australia. People will be connected to the region’s metropolitan and strategic centres by an efficient public transport system, and to the rest of the country and world by the new Western Sydney Airport.
Global investment and innovation will thrive in the Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis. Smart jobs will spread out through the growing education, health and industry precincts and employment hubs in Liverpool, Penrith and Campbelltown. The region’s strategic centres – Richmond, Windsor, St Marys, Narellan, Katoomba, Fairfield and Leppington – will benefit from new jobs.
People will live close to skilled jobs and services, where they can enjoy the great outdoor lifestyle, open spaces and amenity long into the future.
This is Western Sydney’s time and the City Deal lays the foundation for its transformation and delivery of key elements of the Australian Government’s Smart Cities Plan, the Greater Sydney Commission’s Western City District Plan, and the Future Transport 2056 strategy.
Highlights of the Western Sydney City Deal include:
- Realising the 30-minute city by delivering the North South Rail Link
- Creating 200,000 jobs by supercharging the Aerotropolis and agribusiness precinct as catalysts
- Skilling our residents in the region and initiating an Aerospace Institute
- Respecting and building on local character through a $150 million Liveability Program
- Coordination and innovation through a Planning Partnership
- Getting on with delivering the Western Parkland City with enduring tri-level governance.
The Western Sydney City Deal document can be found here.